Commitments made at the hearings of the EU Commissioners in charge of culture
Last September and October, Mariya Gabriel, Commissioner-designate for Research, Innovation, Education, Culture & Youth, and Margaritis Schinas, Vice-President-designate Promoting the European Way of Life, appeared before the European Parliament to answer questions related to their new portfolios. This week, the written reports of the appointees’ hearings were published. You can read our summary and the full reports of the hearings below:
Summary of Mariya Gabriel’s commitments related to culture
- Ensure the full implementation of the New European Agenda for Culture;
- Develop ways to strengthen Europe’s commitment to preserving and protecting our cultural heritage;
- Promote creative industries as a catalyst for innovation, jobs and growth by:
- Building synergies between Horizon Europe, Erasmus, Creative Europe and DiscoverEU programmes;
- Securing an increase of budget to the Creative Europe programme;
- Ensuring fair access of SMEs to Creative Europe and Horizon Europe.
- Foster cultural cooperation as a part of the Union’s partnerships with countries around the world.
Summary of Margaritis Schinas’s commitments related to culture
- Review cases of censorship and artistic repression and take appropriate action;
- Promoting culture as a tool for developing soft-skills that lead citizens to better integrate in societies;
- Continue to invest in cultural heritage and its promotion inside and outside Europe’s borders.