IETM is Hiring: Full-Time Policy and Research Manager
Who we are
IETM is one of the oldest and largest global cultural networks, young at heart and innovative in its strategies. IETM represents the voice of over 500 members who are performing arts organisations in the contemporary performing arts worldwide. We create, organise and execute a large range of activities each year, for our members and the wider performing arts sector. These include small and large events all over the world, advocacy actions and campaigns, research and publications, training, and community engagement. In addition, we pioneer dialogues and initiate developments on the most pressing topics in our sector and societies at large.
The Policy and Research Manager is accountable to the Secretary General, who is their Line Manager. They will work in close collaboration with other IETM team members. Bi-weekly team briefings are held with the Secretariat team, and a job appraisal takes place once per year.
The role of the Policy and Research Manager is to design, coordinate, supervise, edit and administrate the policy and research work of IETM. The Manager proposes, develops and manages this work in collaboration with the Secretary General and the IETM team.
Below is a list of the tasks this can entail:
Policy and Advocacy
- Follow EU cultural policy development with a specific emphasis on programmes and agendas which affect the performing arts at large and be proactive in identifying opportunities and initiatives which can strengthen the position of the performing arts
- Follow-up and analyse EU documents related to culture (EC communications, European Parliament reports, roadmaps, resolutions, research papers, etc)
- Stay up-to-date with national cultural policies and global policy cooperation which affect the performing arts
- Update the Secretary General on the policy trends and issues and decide together on possible actions / strategies
- Draft policy/position papers and design content of advocacy campaigns in collaboration with IETM´s communication team; draft and send amendments; meet right stakeholders for advancing IETM policy interests
- Manage and lead IETM ´s feedback towards third parties in terms of policy and research (such as EU cultural programmes, EU parliamentary actions and research)
- Attend conferences / round-tables / meetings organised by third parties on the topic of cultural policy
- Liaise with other cultural networks
- Inform IETM members on the most important news in the field of EU cultural policies
- Initiate research and publication topics which are of relevance to IETM
- Identify, recruit, coordinate and edit the work of external authors of IETM publications
- Keep track of and collect external publications released in the field of performing arts and disseminate to its members
- Initiate, write and edit IETM´s own research conducted via membership surveys or via evidence collected through analysis of current trends and topics in the field of performing arts
- Work with communication team in designing campaigns for dissemination of IETM´s research and publications
- Take part as a team member and in collaboration with local organisers in IETM meetings and activities
- Take part in conceiving meeting topics and trainings in accordance to members needs and priorities of IETM´s on-going projects
- Undertake any other reasonable duties that may be determined by the Secretary General from time to time
Whom are we looking for?
IETM is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. This position is for you if:
- You have a master’s degree in a relevant subject and a deep knowledge of European cultural policy work
- You have minimum five years of experience of working in advocacy and research related work in the field of cultural policies
- You have a good knowledge of EU policies, institutional processes and frameworks
- You have an excellent knowledge of English
- You have a curiosity for and interest in the performing arts. Prior experience in working for the performing arts is a strong asset
- You have an analytical mind and a keen sense of our network´s potential, how to further our agenda and translate complex ideas into strong messages
- You have a progressive outlook towards finding the best solutions. You enjoy what you do and know how to inspire others: both internally and externally
- You enjoy working at a strategic level, but you also do not mind dealing with small details and practical everyday tasks
- You relate to the values of openness, flexibility, inclusiveness, fairness and curiosity
- You are a good listener, critical thinker with a healthy dose of assertiveness
- You want to work for an international cultural organisation
What do we offer?
- This is a full time position (38h per week) located in Brussels, Belgium. We offer flexibility between home/remote work and in house work. The IETM team meets regularly at the IETM office and regular presence at the office is required. Due to renovation of our office space at the KAAI theatre, IETM will be temporarily relocating to Rue Gallait 76, 1030, Schaerbeek as of August 2022
- The wage is based on the Flemish salary scales for the performing arts sector (CAO PC 304) Scale A
- The contract offered is an unlimited contract
- Luncheon vouchers (7 euros per day worked) and a monthly contribution towards use of public transportation
- The Manager is expected to work Monday through Friday (core working hours between 09:30 and 17:30). They normally will not be asked to work longer than 38 hours per week. Hours can be flexible to suit the employee – however, they will not normally start before 08:00 and will not continue after 19:30. Weekend work is not required except during IETM events (no more than six weekends per year). Overtime will be compensated in time off
How to apply?
To apply for this position, please send your CV and Motivation letter in English to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Policy and Research Manager”.
The deadline to apply is Wednesday 7 September 2022 at 23:59 CET.
The selection process will consist of two interviews:
- Interview invitations will be sent on 9 September 2022
- The first round is planned on 13 September 2022
- The second round is planned on 15 September 2022
Start date is flexible between 20 September and 30 October 2022.
The interviews will take place via Zoom.
You can also download this full job description in PDF.