Open call for international theatre festival "Young theatre days"
Young Theatre Days Festival
17-21 August 2021, Klaipėda, Lithuania
The Young Theatre Days Festival, organised by Klaipėda Youth Theatre for the ninth time, announces an international selection of participants and gathers theatre professionals for an intensive creative week in the Lithuanian seaport of Klaipėda.
Creative workshops of theatre professionals are at the heart of the Young Theatre Days Festival: over a limited time, creators from different fields – actors, directors, playwrights and set designers – hold mini-performances together, present their work to viewers in non-traditional spaces and build up creative contacts for further collaboration.
Theatre workshop format:
- In 2021, the festival will consist of two different types of creative workshops – SPRINT and LONG programmes.
- On 17 August, three SPRINT and three LONG teams will be randomly formed from the selected festival participants. Each team will consist of a director, a set designer, a playwright and 8 actors.
- SPRINT programme teams will rotate every two days and will receive a new inspiration selected by the organisers for the creation of performances each time.
- SPRINT programme performances will be viewed on Wednesday (18th) and Friday (20th) in public spaces of Klaipėda.
- Creators participating in the LONG programme will analyse the same inspiration selected by the event organisers on all days of the festival. At the end of the week, on Saturday (21st), they will present three performances based on the inspiration at Klaipėda Culture Factory.
- Performances of the Young Theatre Days Festival will traditionally be accompanied by discussions of creators, theatre critics and viewers, as well as analyses of creative works.
- Festival participants are provided with accommodation in Klaipėda, meals 3 times a day and free participation in all events of the festival.
- Participants from abroad are reimbursed for travel expenses to Lithuania up to EUR 250.
One of the performances created in SPRINT and LONG programmes will be selected for further development at Klaipėda Youth Theatre. In 2022, the organisation of the production will be aimed at involving as many creators as possible who worked on this performance during the festival. The created performance will be added to the repertoire of Klaipėda Youth Theatre.
The organisers of the Young Theatre Days Festival reserve the right to change the details of the event should the conditions of the COVID-19 pandemic and restrictions on cultural activities in Lithuania so require.