Job Opportunity: Course Leader MA Program Scenography HKU University of the Arts Utrecht
Course Leader Master Program Scenography (0,6 fte)
Are you a resourceful academic professional within the expanded field of scenography? An imaginative maker with an international network and a clear vision on the place of artistic research within contemporary scenography, visual arts and spatial design? An innovative educator who embodies and promotes hybrid practices critically? Then we are looking for you!
With 4,400 students, HKU University of the Arts Utrecht is one of the largest art and culture-oriented institutes in Europe. HKU offers an exciting educational portfolio of courses and programs in fine art, design, media, games and interaction, music, theatre and arts management. HKU Research contributes to deepening and innovating the professional practice of artists and creative professionals by focusing primarily on creative processes. The integration of creating, learning and researching at HKU is particularly visible in the six MA programs hosted by HKU.
Master of Arts in Fine Art and Design
The Master of Arts in Fine Art and Design at HKU is an experimental research driven platform for artistic practice hosting two specific programs: the MA program Fine Art and the MA program Scenography. The programs focus on research, which is embedded in artistic practices, aiming for in-depth individual and collective development. In these practices the process of making is central. New approaches, forms, contexts and diverse modes of (re-) presentation (performative, narrative, context responsive, interactive, generative) are explored through both making and critical reflection, and through different forms of sharing. Both of the MA programs value collaborative and cross-disciplinary work that stems from the belief that the future of art and design lies in hybrid practices. Their joint rationale leads to a vivid learning community of responsible self-organized and critically engaged students from all over the world, who are connected to players in the international field and who are at the same time locally grounded.
Master program Scenography
Scenography looks for contexts at practices and practitioners that investigate expanded forms of scenography and crossdisciplinary performative work. This aims to lead to new ways of handling space, dramaturgy and spectatorship with components derived from performance, narrative and ritual, from theatre and performance design, architecture and (public) space, media and technology. It deals with spatial dynamics, sound and light scores, ideas on visuality versus the sensuous, on social behavior and spectatorship.
Its mission to foster new practices is supported by a strong relation with the Professorship in Performative Processes and with the recently installed post-doc in research methodologies, offering opportunities for both staff, alumni and students. The MA program Scenography is a full-time international course in which 120 credits are distributed over two academic years. The program belongs to the school of theatre of HKU and is located in the center of Utrecht. Yearly the program has approximately 35 students. You will collaborate on a regularly with the course leader of the Master program Fine Art.
About the tasks
• You create an innovative and inspiring working environment and community in collaboration with tutors, (guest)lecturers, study coaches, students, and the school's director.
• You will mobilize, facilitate and inspire teachers with a keen eye for the artistic working environment in which our students develop and for the needs of our international community.
• You foster the learning environment of the program, and are in the lead for curriculum development, faculty and student recruitment, the management of the curriculum as well as organizational resources and structures.
• You guide the research and teaching of the program in alignment with the institutional agendas and educational portfolio of HKU.
• You develop relations and exchange with national, international and local cultural organizations and professionals in order to share and provide context for the work of students, staff and alumni.
• You have a sophisticated view on developments in media, sound, light: their technological tools and the possible interactions with space, the experience of space and interactive performance design.
• A Master’s Degree or PhD in a relevant field.
• A genuine passion for working with and tutoring young makers.
• Experience with educational processes and producing qualities (ie. logistics, finances, planning).
• Team player with core tutors of the program and a collegial attitude towards collaborative work across HKU.
• Excellent communicative skills that excels at sharing expertise and facilitating exchange within and outside of the MA Scenography program.
• Flexible and progressive.
• Fluency in English, and if not Dutch native, a willingness to learn Dutch.
What we offer
A dynamic and collaborative work environment, in which students, teachers and course leader develop both themselves and the critical discourse on scenography, didactics and artistic development.
A community of peers with professionals in scenography, performing arts, in education and in research in art and design.
Appointment is in accordance with the collective agreement for higher professional education (CAO hbo).
The gross monthly salary is depending on education and experience and amounts at full-time employment minimum € 4.137 to maximum € 5.565 (scale 12), exclusive of additional 8% holiday pay and 8.3% end-of-year bonus. HKU offers excellent secondary employment conditions, including training possibilities, a travel allowance for commuting and a favorable holiday arrangement. This is initially a temporary appointment for the period of one year with a view of extension.
More information about applying
Are you interested in this vacant position, than you can apply until 27 March 2020. Send your curriculum vitae and a motivation letter to [email protected] with mentioning your name + apply course leader.
The interviews will be planned in the second half of April 2020.
Informal enquiries about the position or the selection procedure can be directed to Caspar Nieuwenhuis, Director of HKU Theatre (Telephone: 003130-2091709 or email: [email protected]). You can find more information about HKU on www.hku.nl.
HKU is at the center of society. People who can make the composition of our staff more varied are cordially invited to apply.
This vacancy is open internal and external. With equal credentials internal candidates have priority. Acquisition to this vacancy will not be appreciated.