Job opportunity: Dance Programmer at Korzo (The Hague, NL)
Korzo is a leading venue and a creative producer in the city centre of The Hague (Netherlands). We work with creatives and partners whose activities intersect dance and movement; they push the boundaries and look beyond. They find a place in and around our programming, which reflects the current leading talent, in the fields of dance, music, physical theatre, and circus. We recognize talent, give room to experiment and exploration, and stimulate new developments. We bring creatives and the public together in innovative formats based on the conviction that talent is best served with surprising connections and an open way of looking. It is no coincidence that we have chosen, “Here to Move You” as our motto.
Korzo is a house on the move, the only place of development in the Netherlands specifically dedicated to dance and movement that has a national pioneering role. A place for the head-strong that gives makers opportunities, that renews and develops genres. A place that is relevant for, and aims to mirror society in all its facets.
In the coming policy period Korzo will produce the major biennial events CaDance Festival (2021 and 2023) and India Dance Festival (2022 and 2024. Korzo will also invest in its permanent relationship with Nederlands Dans Theater (NDT) and Conny Janssen Danst, and with our seven resident creatives we present on average five productions per year that go on tour.
Effective immediately, Korzo is looking for a creative and inspiring:
Dance Programmer (+/- 24 hours p/week)
As the dance programmer you report directly to the general manager and you are part of the artistic team chaired by the general manager and consists of a programmer for theatre & circus and a music programmer. The artistic team is part of the programming team that includes the guest programmers and the heads of the marketing, production, and education departments. In addition to this, Korzo has an intensive collaboration with external coaches and dramaturges that supervise the creatives in their various individual projects.
Korzo is looking for a dance programmer with the following qualities:
- Personifies Korzo’s mission and vision and contributes to it.
- Able to let his or her personality speak through the programming.
- Able to go outside the well-trodden paths and can transform headstrong ideas into inspiring concepts.
- As a coach you can give sharp feedback and you are able to talk substantively with our resident creatives during their creatives process.
- You have an eye for current events, cultural and social issues, can form a critical opinion and are able to engage in a Korzo-wide discussion on such topics.
- Communicates easily and has a healthy sense of perspective.
Your duties will consist of:
- Implementing policy concerning the dance programming in close collaboration with the general manager.
- Programming, planning and development of productions, programs, (location) projects and festivals, also in partnership with other (guest-)programmers.
- Management of a dedicated budget and financial management of in-house programs.
- Generating income for programming through fundraising and cultivating partnerships.
- Contributing to marketing strategies for audience development for the entire programming in collaboration with the programming team.
- Supervising a number of resident creatives in their creative process.
- Scouting new talent and closely following new developments in the field of dance.
- Demonstrable knowledge of and a clear vision on dance.
- A vision on raising awareness and wide-ranging audience cultivation in The Hague.
- A relevant network in the field of dance and/or performing arts in the Netherlands (and abroad).
- Previous experience in working with creative artists is seen as an advantage.
An inspiring and dynamic work environment within a professional performing arts organization where producers, makers, and artists collectively work towards an innovative programming. The position is graded in grade 8 of the CAO for Drama and Dance. The position entails a temporary contract of one year with the possibility of extension upon satisfactory performance.
Korzo strives for a greater diversity in its staff members. Applicants with varying backgrounds in education, nationality, and culture are expressly invited to apply. You can send your application until 16 August 2020 to Monique Kooij: [email protected]. For further information about the position and procedure, please contact Monique Kooij.
More information on our website: korzo.nl/en/careers